Thursday, January 13, 2011

a class that already has changed my life...

So more so than ever....my classes this semester are RANDOM!! It seems like every semester I have one class that isn't within my major, but I'm pretty sure this semester wins the prize. As I was picking out which classes I wanted to take, I for sure signed up for songwriting and then my friend soon told me about a photography class that was hidden in the RMYL program. BYU unfortunately doesn't offer any photography classes unless you're majoring in photography (so I thought) but my friend Courtney found a hidden gem! So naturally I signed up thinking WHY NOT right?!? Little did I know that these two classes were exactly what I was looking for this semester! So i'm going about my first week thinking I have my schedule all figured out and then my other friend texted me to IMMEDIATELY switch out of social marketing into the immigrant/refugee class. I was planning on taking this class sometime but decided to just switch it anyway. So last night, my first time attending this class, I was just expecting a class informing some issues going on around the world. I soon found out that one of the videos they showed and topics discussed literally changed my life!

Now all my life I haven't really been a huge fan of Angelina Jolie. She stole Brad away from Jennifer, in all of her movies she's quite frankly annoying as crap, and I really don't think she is as beautiful as all the boys say. BUT I was very humbled today and even could say I respect her more as I watched her documentary on the Lugufu camp she visited with the United Nations in Tanzania. This video was so moving to me...
This is the Lugufu camp in Tanzania. Almost all the people here are orphans because of a war in the Congo. Villages were being invaded and many loved ones were killed. Many come in hopes of finding parents and friends that went missing after their cities were destroyed. Most look in vain, and usually do not reunite with anyone.
These are typical children you would see in a camp like Lugufu. Watching how they respond to their new life is heart wrenching. Most of these children were able to play with their friends, came home to meals their mothers made them every night, could wash their clothes and bathe whenever they wanted but now have to live in different circumstances. Food rations are very small, children and teenagers have to build their own shelter and ultimately fend for themselves.
It truly broke my heart while I'm sitting their watching how these people live. Seeing everything they once had stripped from their lives. They have almost nothing and yet have to keep pushing through and making the best of their circumstances. As the children and other refugees came into the camp they were first checked to make sure they weren't bringing anything harmful, then they had to check in, in case other family members at that specific camp or a neighboring one are looking for them, and then they are given a speech by the camp director. I would have never guessed how emotional a "welcoming" speech could be. He was very compassionate toward them but also told them to get used to their life here. This is where they will be for who knows how long and they must make the best of it.

Can you imagine, being forced to leave your home because your town is being destroyed, your parents are missing and are most likely killed, you now are responsible for your siblings, you have to take care of yourself, eat whatever is given to you which is close to nothing, and on top of that you will most likely live there for at least ten years. It is amazing to me how caught up we get in our lives and yet half a world away there are people who are going through so much that we hardly even think about. After watching this it made me realize just how much we have to offer and what truly matters in life. We focus so much on material things when really all that really matters is being with the people we love. We are so blessed and have so much to constantly be grateful for.

I have to go on a Humanitarian trip. I want to feel like I have done something that will help people have hope for the future. That they can see that they can be taught how to improve their lives and be more successful. It is something so easy for us who have so much but will truly make a huge difference in the lives of those who are less fortunate. I'm really excited about this semester and to learn of ways I can better be involved in making a difference. Someday I will get over to Africa. I have to : )

1 comment:

  1. Lauren! I totally took that photography class through RMYL. It was an amazing class. We went to Moab and I have some amazing pictures I took while there hanging on my wall. Good luck with all your new classes this semester!

    Julie Brown Bagley (former EFY Co)

    ReplyDelete